Magnets Warning and Safety
- Neodymium magnets must be handled with care to avoid personal injury and damage to the magnets. Fingers and other body parts can get severely pinched between two attracting magnets. Bones can be broken by larger magnets.
- Neodymium magnets are brittle. They can peel, crack or shatter if allowed to slam together.
- Children should not be allowed to play with neodymium magnets as they can be dangerous. Small magnets pose a choking hazard and should never be swallowed or inserted into any part of the body.
- The strong magnetic fields of neodymium magnets can also damage magnetic media such as floppy disks, credit cards, magnetic I.D. cards, cassette tapes, video tapes or other such devices. Electronics such televisions, VCRs, computer monitors and other CRT displays can also be damaged.
- Never allow neodymium magnets near a person with a pacemaker or similar medical device. The strong magnetic fields of the magnets can affect the operation of such devices.
- Neodymium magnets will begin to lose their magnetic properties if heated above 176° F (82° C).
The Bottom Line
- Like any tool, neodymium magnets can be useful and educational, but must always be treated with care. Oceanbox Designs® will not be liable for any personal injury, damage to magnets or tangible properties due to misuse.